By Julio Rocha & Ivan Macias
Period - 2
Chapter 9 Section 1
1) The New Imperialism was a time when nations fought each other to gain power and territories using nationalism and security. The motivations for imperialism were having power, control, new markets, paying cheap labor, and making more money .
2) The western advantages were using raw materials to power their machines , that were used to make their products. Also having better schools, hospitals, having more superior weapons and having a good Navy.
Chapter 9 Section 2
3) The Berlin Conference was a conference set up in 1884 to discuss the claiming of any African land , however Africa was never invited. There were 14 states involved in the Berlin Conference that slowly took over almost the entire African land.The main natios were was annexed by mostly France, Germany, Great Britain, and Portugal.
4) The Suez Canal is a waterway that connects the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea. The Suez Canal is an important water route because it reduces time from getting from France to India.
Chapter 9 Section 4
5) The Sepoy Rebellion was a rebellion caused by the Sepoy's who fought against British officers in 1857 because the indians recieved a change in their weapons. The rebellion didn't last long since the british sent troops to India. The rebellion caused Britain to create a stronger army.
Chapter 9 Section 5
A) Balance of Trade - The balance of trade is how a country brings in and carries out it's items.
B) Trade Surplus-Trade Surplus is when a country brings in more products than needed
C) Trade Deficit-When a Country exports more products than they have .
7) Opium War - The Opium war was when the Chinese fought with the British so that the British could stop importing and selling Opium. This eventually led to China's loss of control because the British denied their request to stop the Opium trade with china
Taiping Rebellion- The Taiping Rebellion was a rebellion caused by peasants that lasted about fourtenn years.The taiping rebellion was also one of the most deadly wars in china that caused more than about twenty million deaths.The taiping rebellion was simply caused because of treating peasants bad.
Boxer Uprising-The Boxer Uprising was a deadly and agressive movement against foreigners who weren't Chinese and those who spread different beliefs. In about one year later the boxer's set up an attack against the foreigners,but they were crushed by a force created by the Japanese and the Western powers.