Hey Isaac and co.! My name is Chestnut! I'm here to answer your questions about DEFORESTATION
Forests help to maintain a balance of CARBON DIOXIDE and OXYGEN in the atmosphere.
However they are being cut down faster than they are being replanted or naturally regenerated!
SO WHAT CAUSES DEFORESTATION
Hi Chestnut! I'm Birchy! I'm studying Biology but what I don't understand is.. WHAT CAUSES DEFORESTATION?!
That's a great question Birchy!! There are THREE MAIN REASONS why DEFORESTATION occurs...
3. SELECTIVE LOGGING where only the most valuable trees are cut down
1. The use of land for agriculture by SUBSTISENCE FARMERS (for growing crops) and also for CASH CROPS (such as soy and palm oil)
2. LARGE SCALE TIMBER EXTRACTION (or logging)
BUT CHESTNUT?!?! Doesn't this have MASSIVE CONSEQUENCES on the environment?!?!
No need to shout Birchy.. But yes, DEFORESTATION does have some very significant CONSEQUENCES including...
1. REDUCTION OF BIODIVERSITY - forest canopies protect plants and animals on the ground - destruction of habitats leads to a reduction in biodiversity -this can lead to the extinction of species - some plants have medicinal powers so it is important that we preserve them
2. SOIL EROSION - this is a natural process, however it is made worse by deforestation - there are fewer trees to slow water down therefore topsoil erodes more quickly which causes localised flooding
3. increases SEDIMENT DEPOSITS and causes CLIMATE CHANGE -forests absorb greenhouse gases like CO2 so less CO2 is removed from the atmosphere - this leads to global warming which causes ice caps to melt, flooding and climate change! :O
4. causes the loss of valuable sources of PLANT CHEMICALS that might have potential benefits for humans
What is this madness...
OK, OK How can we REDUCE the impact of DEFORESTATION?!
We can... -Replant trees and plants -Allow natural regeneration -Coppicing (selective cutting) -Control pests and diseases
It is also important to MANAGE forests in order to support sustainable replanting/ regeneration(especially in protected areas to preserve species)
This way natural woodland will be preserved which will enhance biodiversity!
Now it's your turn to have a go!
Half of the world’s forests have been cut down during the last thirty years. What are the main consequences of deforestation? Discuss methods which can be used to reduce the impact.
Here's a 10 mk question. In groups along your row, discuss and write down bullet point answers.
Here are some points that you could have included...
•Less carbon dioxide removed from air •Ref. global warming; (not: greenhouse effect) •Ref. one consequence of global warming e.g. melting ice caps/flooding/climate change/greenhouse effect qual. •Destruction/loss of (natural) habitats •Leads to reduction in biodiversity •Extinction of some species (not: ref. destroys) •Some plants may have clinical/medicinal properties, lost before investigated •Some species may have alleles which could be introduced into gene pool of related species •Soil erosion or description/localised flooding •Ref. less protection of soil from drying/wind helps to increase desertification •Soil erosion and drying in context of removal of roots •Effect climate, ref transpiration/water cycle/rainfall patterns •Replanting •Allow (natural) regeneration •Coppicing/selective cutting •Ref. to efficient forestry, planting trees of correct/endemic/local species/ correct distance apart •Control pests and diseases;
Thanks for watching
A short film
Commissioned by the IsaacBurrow'sLlamaTrust
In assoiation with
It's A Pug's Life